CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

13/05/2018

Golden Whistler

GOLDEN WHISTLER Pachycephala pectoralis

 

Golden Whistler Female and Juvenile


 We have had very heavy rain and strong winds over the last few days. This has been the first of our autumn falls this year. We have waited many weeks for the coming of the rain this year.










I went out for a look around after the rain. It was still very cold with a strong wind blowing but the sun was bright between the clouds.









I was watching these 'little brown birds'  behind the Kilmore Cricket ground. There were a number of them hunting for insects amongst the leaf litter, catching up after the wild weather. They seemed quite comfortable with me being nearby.

I picked them out to be Jacky Winters, reasonably common in this area.




Golden Whistler Male


A few moments later and a flash of yellow landed on a low branch beside me. He too was busy turning over leaves  and bark in his search for insects. he was easy to identify, a Golden Whistler.

I know they are about this area, but I cannot remember seeing one for a long time.






And of course the 'little brown birds' are not JackyWinters, but female or young Golden Whistlers.























No comments: