CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

17/05/2018

Gang Gang Cockatoo

GANG GANG COCKATOO Callocephalon fimbriatum



 In a cotoneaster shrub at the edge of the Kilmore to Lancefield Road this afternoon, a dull, overcast afternoon, there were flashes of red as I drove past in the car. I thought they were galahs resting. I turned around and pulled up to find three or four shrubs, full of Gang Gang Cockatoos, feeding on the bright red fruit.









 Above the sound of the cars going past, I could hear the birds crunching on the large bunches of ripe fruit. The cockatoos were very settled and undisturbed by the cars passing by just metres away, and me standing with my camera within a few just a few metres.











 Most of the group of twenty or so birds seemed to be young males, with the red feathers on the head, just beginning to emerge. The adult males stood out with their much more brilliant red faces and crests.










No comments: