CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

04/11/2017

Sacred Kingfisher

SACRED KINGFISHER (Todiramphus sanctus)

There are numbers of these little kingfishers around just now. Perhaps they are more visible as they hunt. Usually I just see a flash of blue; by the time I turn and focus, there is nothing to see.

 I was at the ford on Jeffrey's Lane, just where it joins Dry Creek Road this morning. There were several birds calling to each other with high pitched chirrups. They were very vocal and whatever it was they were discussing, they were vert intent and ignored me watching them.

I had assumed these were Azure Kingfishers but their call described in Michael Morcombe Guide, '..a loud sharp penetrating far-carrying kik kik kik kik .... these calls repeated almost incessantly ...' was a give away.

I have noticed one bird sitting on the power line directly over the Seymour railway line, on three different occasions now, each time in the exactly the same spot. I assume it is the same bird I see each time. There must be something special about that place.


This ford is a nicely timbered area with a creek that actually has water in it most of the year. This despite the name 'Dry Creek'. So there is always activity here, lots of honey eaters, grey thrushes, parrots, fantails and kookaburras. It is a good spot to vist when other areas are quiet. 







 

No comments: