CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

18/03/2017

Yellow Robins

EASTERN YELLOW ROBINS

We have had a beautiful early autumn  morning today.  It was very still, warm with dew on the ground.  It has been hot, throughout the day; it is still 32 C now at 5 o'clock,  but the morning was just beautiful.




Along the Kilmore East train line, there is still much fruit on the blackberry bushes. This is quite unusual. I picked blackberries well over a month ago and we still have them today. In most years, the fruit ripens and is gone within a fortnight. I could see plenty of evidence that the foxes have been enjoying this late crop also.


I was very pleased to see these Eastern Yellow Robins (Eopsaltria australis), they are quite brilliant in colour. There was a pair of them chattering to each other in a black wattle tree.

They seemed very much at ease and sat watching me for several minutes before flying off to another tree to get a different angle on me.

They would cock their heads to one side to get a better look and I am sure they were asking each other who I was and what I was doing.










No comments: