CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

08/10/2016

Red-browed Finch

Red-browed Finch or Red-browed Firetail

These birds are listed as being common to the eastern coast of Australia, and the adjacent ranges, but I do not see them very often around Kilmore.


This pair were feeding on the tee off mound for the final hole on the Kilmore Golf Course the other day. I was able to get quite close to them, they did not seem to be concerned about me at all, very sociable.  


Finches of course, are seed eaters, just look at the beaks. They feed on  ripe or ripening grass seed which they pick from the ground or from the  stalks. That is certainly what this pair were doing on this day. Perhaps the course curators had spread some grass seed on the tee-off area.  My reading tells me they also  need a regular supply of water. So if you are thirsty and lost in dry country, look out for finches. They are a good sign of water.



These have the scientific name Neochmia temporalis but have also been known as Aegintha temporalis. Temporalis comes from the Latin for temple; that makes sense. Neochmia and Aegintha? I am still looking for a meaning. Both sound like Latin to me, neo,  new?  Aeg...,  something to do with silver perhaps. Aah, they are related to silver eyes, perhaps that is a connection. I'll update the information if and when I find it.



No comments: